Sunday morning… warm, fluffy Cheesy Garlic Bread Rolls… with some sweet tea… in your pyjamas… under a blanket… with your favourite book or TV programme (yes, Dog Whisperer, I’m looking at you :)) Absolute heaven, if you ask me!
Now, these bread rolls are not your usual everyday stuff. They take their time (especially the dough, doubling in size) and they’re not the healthiest thing around, but they are so soft and cheesy and pillowy, they deserve to be a treat once in a while. Also, they keep soft for several days, if kept in an airtight container, so you can make them in advance.
Their preparation is much easier if you have a bread machine, you just throw all the dough ingredients in and 90 minutes later, your dough is ready to be rolled out and made into bread rolls. If you don’t, you’re just going to need a little more elbow grease as you knead and work the dough until smooth.
Once the dough is ready, it’s all smooth sailing really. Divide it into two halves and roll them both out…
… spread the cheesy garlicky filling onto them…
… and cut each circle into 16 wedges (as you would a pizza)…
… roll each wedge into a “croissant” starting at the wide edge…
… line up on a baking tray, brush with some egg and sprinkle a little more shredded cheese on top. Let them rest for another hour.
Into the oven at 180ºC and 20 minutes later you’re stuffing your face with some wonderful warm cheesy garlicky bread rolls.
Hope you enjoy them!
- 2 1/2 cups white flour
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon milk, warm
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup kefir or greek yoghurt
- 1 packet dry yeast
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cheese spread
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- optional: shredded cheese or sesame seeds
- If you have a bread machine, start by putting all of the dough ingredients in and turn to "Dough" program.
- If you don't, start by mixing the warm milk with sugar and then sprinkling the yeast on top. Let rest for about 15 minutes until the yeast grows. Add to all the rest of the dough ingredients and work the dough until it's smooth. Let it double in size for about an hour in a warm place.
- When your dough is ready and doubled in size, divide it into 2 halves and roll each one out on a floured surface to 1/2 cm thick.
- Make the filling by mixing all of the filling ingredients together and spread on both circles of dough.
- Cut each circle into 16 wedges (like you would a pizza) and then roll each one into a "croissant", starting at the wide end and rolling towards the bottom.
- Put onto a baking tray, brush with egg and sprinkle a little more shredded cheese or sesame seeds on top. Let rest for another hour.
- Then preheat your oven to 180ºC and bake the rolls for 15 - 20 minutes until golden.