I have just come back from my daily walk with my dogs, which lately I consider a kind of a walking meditation. After 8 hours in my office chair, I simply enjoy the salty air in my lungs, the sun on my face, the wind blowing through the trees. I love the opportunity to not have to rush anywhere, to smile and say hello to strangers, to move my body and see the happiness on the faces of my dogs.
Once I get home, I’m usually quite hungry and looking for something quick and as I normally have a batch of legumes cooked in the fridge, this spread takes just a few minutes to prepare and is ready for me to start stuffing my face with 🙂
It shouldn’t even be called a recipe, as it’s sooo ridiculously easy and quick. If you need a lightning-quick snack full of protein and healthy fats, look no further – this Chilli Lentil Spread on Toast with Avocado is on the table in under 30 minutes and if you’ve cooked the lentils the day before or are using canned, we’re talking breakfast / lunch or dinner on the table in under 10 minutes. Yes, this is the kind of recipe that can be eaten at any time of the day and you can also prepare a big batch and keep in the fridge for up to a week. Delicious eaten either warm or cold, this spread is very versatile.
Sweet chilli sauce is one of the ingredients and while you can certainly use the shop-bought stuff, I really encourage you to try my homemade sweet chilli sauce, it is clean, delicious and very easy to make.
Once you have your cooked lentils and your sweet chilli sauce ready, you mix them together with the coriander, spread onto some toasted multi-cereal wholegrain bread, top with sliced avocado, sprinkle with some hemp seeds (optional) and dig in!
I grow my coriander in a pot on the terrace, as gardening is also one of the things I love and the satisfaction you get from eating something you have grown yourself is enormous, not to talk about the magic of planting a tiny seed and -with a little soil, sun, water and love- watching it grow into a plant or tree. Even if you don’t have much of a green thumb, I encourage you to start with herbs, as they are incredibly easy to look after and grow very quickly. Not to mention getting your hands dirty with soil and getting back in touch with Mother Nature can be very therapeutic and grounding 🙂
- 1 cup red lentils (dry)
- 2-3 dried bay leaves
- a pinch of Herbamare or salt
- 1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 6 slices multi-cereal wholegrain bread, toasted
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds (optional)
- Rinse the red lentils and put them in a pot together with the bay leaves and Herbamare / salt. Cover with water, bring to boil and cook on medium heat until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Strain the lentils, discard the bay leaves, add sweet chilli sauce and coriander and mix well.
- Spread onto your toast, top with avocados, sprinkle with hemp seeds (optional) and enjoy!
- This lentil spread is equally delicious warm or cold from the fridge.