Today I bring you the best sandwich in all the land – Barbecue Tempeh Sandwich! Ok, ok, maybe not in all the land, but it is extremely tasty and seems to be a firm favourite with anyone who tries it. When I said to my brother over the weekend that I was making it for the blog, he auto-invited himself for lunch… (And it’ll be waiting for you next week, Vladko 😉 )
Now, this is not some limp thin little sandwich that’ll leave you just as hungry after you’ve eaten it. No, this sandwich is thick and substantial, filled to the brim with goodness and will definitely work your jaw when you try to open your mouth large enough to fit it in 😀 This mix of crisp, juicy, spicy and creamy is really good. Add in the tempeh covered in caramelized barbecue sauce and even your meat-eating friends won’t be complaining.
Start with some good bread. I used a twisted ciabatta. Top with crispy lettuce leaves, barbecued tempeh and slather some more sauce on, if you’d like…
…next come sliced cucumbers, juicy tomatoes and crunchy spring onions…
…and finally creamy buttery avocado, some lovely sprouts and the other half of your bread. Stick a toothpick in so all the goodness doesn’t fall out and enjoy!
Make it for lunch, for dinner… even for breakfast, if you feel like it 😀
It doesn’t get any easier than this. Wholesome ingredients. Put together in a few minutes. They’ll leave you feeling full for several hours.
PLEASE MAKE IT! And maybe let me know what you’ve thought of it? 🙂
- 1 large baguette
- 1 cup leafy greens (I used lettuce hearts)
- 1 package tempeh or tofu (200 - 300g)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1/2 small cucumber, sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup sprouts (I used pea sprouts, but feel free to use alfalfa, broccoli, lentil or any other)
- Start by making the barbecued tempeh or tofu. Cut into strips, and fry in the olive oil and barbecue sauce until caramelized and golden.
- Assemble the baguette starting with lettuce hearts, add the barbecued tempeh along with more barbecue sauce if you want, then sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, spring onions, avocados and finally pea sprouts. Top with the other half of the baguette, secure with a toothpick and enjoy!